Sunday, June 27, 2010
The latest wave of news and attention is now on the FIFA World Cup. I started catching World Cup when I was in Secondary Two through influence from Melissa, a very good friend at that point of time. 2002 was the year then FIFA was held in South Korea. Time flies, and now I am to World Cup 2010! To be exact, it is only my second series of matches. I skipped World Cup in 2006, which was held in Germany, amidst preparation for my A levels.
For the first time, my parents did not purchase the World Cup channel (we have been Starhub Cable customer way back when it was still called SCV). But I still get to watch the matches live, and sharing it with my dad. I owe it to my friends though. ;)
World Cup is like a reality TV to me. An international live telecast of human emotions - anger, stress, anxiety, fear and jealousy, more so, it depicts national pride. I've seen players who almost broke down (or maybe they even did) for losing, others who fought on the field (you know who). But the most heartening scene, is to see footballers kissing their flags on their jersey upon scoring the goal for the nation. It's patriotism. It has to be for the love of the nation that brought these people that far. Following the exit of France from the World Cup, I am beginning to be particular observant to tinge of poor sportsmanship in the games.
I'm no soccer fan. I can't really count the scores like goal difference bigger or points bigger etc. The more I can't differentiate what are the red and yellow cards for. Penalties and fouls are not my best friends either. Despite the noob-ness, I'm still enjoying the game as a spectator. Undeniably, the World Cup has drew my dad and myself closer together (he is one FIFA fan), waiting for me to share my live streaming no matter how late in the night. And of cuz, when he's still out at midnight, I'll leave it streaming till I wake up in the morning. P.s. he told me how lucky he was to come home that day, in time to catch the free kick goal made by Japan (I was already sleeping by then). ;) World Cup 2010 has also became a latest common topic that my friends and I share. It's really heartwarming.
Too bad, Singapore is nowhere near the Cup. Else, I'm sure it'll do a better job in making Singaporeans bonded together as one as compared to other international games like Olympics. :p
3:56 PM