*Stars

Subscribe to RSS feed
Best viewed with Google Chrome.




Sunday, August 22, 2010



Yes, I know the SYOG is in town. Unfortunately, with the starting of a new academic term, I have not been catching up with the news except that I have participated in three torch bearers' events in various parts of Singapore, attended the SYOG opening and have bought tickets to the closing.

As part of making it history, I have put the cost aside, and bought better tickets for my siblings to go to the closing with me. Yup, it's a $160 in all. It's not cheap, considering that I am still a full time student with that little money I saved from work. But I guess, that's all that I could do for my sister and brothers on behalf of my parents. All in the name of a sister! Besides, it's easier to earn that $160 back more than excluding my YOG-crazy siblings in the show. They too, deserve an opportunity to watch the show, even if my parents aren't going to be free on such important day.

Major events have never failed to create an impact in the citizens. In the case of the SYOG, it did in some way, bonded Singaporeans together, be it positive or negative. Though I am not that updated, I am aware that the Singapore soccer team managed to make it to the semi-finals with a match tonight at Jalan Besar Stadium. While tickets are already sold out, there will be a live telecast on Channel 5 at 8:20PM. For a small nation like Singapore, it is remarkable to make it thus far. Way to go Singapore! :)

There have been a couple of negative YOG news flying around in STOMP and even the national papers. I too, have my personal encounter of having a badly produced torchlight dove. There was no QC and  was covered with only bits of silicon that are definitely not part of a standard procedure (the silicon is glued in different manner, some on top of the wings, some below, some on both sides). I thought it was a humiliation to receive a broken dove wing when it represents Peace. Does that mean that Singapore is not sincere in keeping Peace in Singapore and the world? Oh well.

Nevertheless, it is indeed an honor for Singapore to be the first nation to host the YOG in my opinion, whether good or bad. Ultimately, people will remember us as the FIRST nation to do so, just like Athens, Greece being the first nation to host the modern day Olympics Games in 1869. Whether you like it or not, such impact will be made obvious 100 years later when people start tracing back to where it first began. ;)



2:28 PM