*Stars

Subscribe to RSS feed
Best viewed with Google Chrome.




Monday, January 03, 2011

During a random lunch chit chat the other day, me and my colleagues talked about spoilt kids these days. We believe that parents are responsible for such erosion of moral values (she's a mother herself). And we'll find ourselves at some point in time, guilty of inculcating the wrong values.

The logic? We are not born well-to-do.

Having grown up in a society whereby I get to see friends, and even cousins with wonderful playing toys, and annual holiday trips, I told myself to work extra hard since young. I told myself that I have to provide for myself. And being the eldest, for my family too. Even as I told my colleague that I won't spoil my children. I reflected on myself the other day. My parents do show signs of me spoiling my siblings already. Nope, I don't dote any one of them more than the other. I'm a fair person. Hahahaha. :p Well, to me, I thought it's a pride. Coming from a big family and not born rich, we have missed alot during our growing up years. Our toys mainly revolves around masak masak made from calender paper, had my first barbie doll only at primary 6 (I think my sister doesn't even have one). Even though working part time doesn't give me a huge income that I can do much with, I still try to provide for my siblings, like getting them supper and bringing them to shows.

Being a parent is not an easy job. I am sure my parents have done well. We know our family linkages, know what's right and what's wrong. We respect, cherish and love the family. I grew up being told off by my dad 'if you don't want to eat, then don't eat. Watch us eat!'. No one has the special privilege of choice, unless you mention it earlier beforehand. Daddy won't allow anyone of us to spoil our family time. As we grow up, meal times are the best time that I ever will have with my family.

My dad's strategy to his children's education?
'If u don't want to study, don't study. I won't be able to provide you for overseas collages or even local specialised schools. It's either you work hard to move on, or u drop out!' That's exactly how we made it where we are today. Fierce huh? That's my dad. What he says does make sense, my family won't be able to afford the hefty school fees. We just don't have that privilege. And so we work hard enough to earn us a place somewhere.

We may not have the luxury of a sedan car, neither do we visit the restaurants every week, but we have the most expensive item that one can ever have. The priceless of kinship and the strong love that we share at home. Never mind the calculation of budgets before 'special' meals out at restaurants, I've still enjoy the meals more than any others.

With graduation around the corner, I'm sure we'll be able to appreciate this simple beauty of life. Because, we have been through the ups and downs together as a family. We know what's going to come, is a privilege from what we have EARNED and not given and taken for granted.

Heavy topic I know. Seen too much lately. hahaha. I know that I don't have the confidence to be a good parent like my dad. :p




9:40 AM