Monday, January 24, 2011
Had my lower two wisdom teeth extracted last Sunday. Didn't know that it will swell up quite badly. For days too. And so, I've decided to keep track of my swell and to a after-extraction entry.
Ok, photos are not for the faint-hearted. :p
The first day was quite horrible, I had to lie on my bed and swallow my own blood just so that it doesn't flow the wrong way. The gaze was a pain that I abandoned upon reaching home from the clinic. By night time, it was slightly puffed up than the morning. Didn't take a picture then..
One thing for sure though, I wasn't able to eat properly since Day 1. The swell made my molars quite weak (maybe due to the pain or whatsoever). But well, the pain was quite manageable throughout the recovery, except the numbness on the first day.
With a much swollen face on Monday, I went to school for class despite the MC. But I skipped work so that I could go home and rest. The pain made me moody and tired that day.
The swell is a good gauge of how I will look when I grow super plump. Chinless. Hahahaha. A face so square. I think I look like a pirated sponge bob. :p
Day 2, parents decided to cook duck, prawns and what's not. I couldn't really bite still. But because I went to a seminar in the afternoon to clear one of my module, I had the honour to swallow food. From cakes, to fish and honeydew and pasta. LOL! It really wasn't a good experience.
On day 3, I packed some kuehs and beancurd from Tuesday's dinner to school. I was going to be in school from 9am to at least 10pm. And school food consisting of rice and noodles are not for me. :( Came to school with full gear of medication, salt, water and what's not. I had to guggle after meals just so that bateria don't stay on my wound. My FYP partner thought I was biting on something in my mouth all along. It's just puffed up! But slightly better than earlier.
Woke up on Thursday morning to find green patches on my face. I had been stupid to go rub my wound, thinking that it would de-swell. I ended up getting my face bruised. LOL. The bruise is still there today btw. :x
On a road to speedy recovery! Getting less and less swollen..
Still slightly swollen by Day 6, I went back to work. Colleagues decided to have bak kut teh for lunch. For the first time in a week, I ate rice (I seldom eat rice even if at home). I heck care about my wound by then. Just hungry.. hahahaha. The only problem is that I couldn't open my mouth too big still. But I could already feel my wounds recovering. The small hole for my wisdom teeth growth are covering up. The quick de-swelling allows me to bite food, like finally!
Day 7, the lorry-learning day. Not much remains of a swollen face left. :) And the threads are sinking all over the place cuz of my 'normal' eating. Couldn't want for the removal by then!
Total cost of extraction inclusive of consultation, medication and x-ray (2 trips): $75 cash + $1100 ($550 x 2) medisave. From NTUC Denti-care. Cheap eh? I got away from wisdom tooth woes with just $75 cash. Extracted it not because it's giving me any serious problems as yet. It's only a preventive measure that I took in case. There wasn't any space for them in my mouth. Removing them now, covers the original small hole that I have. It sure needs a little adaptation now that the 'hole' is gone. hehehehe :p
Extracting it is not that painful actually. Anesthetic jabs were given. The numbness to the gums make me not feel anything throughout the procedure. The swell was more like a mental torture than a physical pain. Other than that, I quite enjoy the full process of recovery. Btw, a 6 days MC will be given for such extraction (at least that was what I was given). I still go sch nevertheless.
Such once in a lifetime experience is worth recording in my opinion. hehehehe :p
More importantly, for $75, I've slimmed down a bit. :p
7:58 AM